Author Topic: PBR Metallic/Roughness textures used in Cinema 4d Standart and Physical renderer  (Read 14136 times)

Hi guys,
I finished the texturing of my object in PBR Metallic/Roughnes shader in Substance Painter. Now I want to use the baked textures (base color, height, metallic, normal, roughness) in Standart or Physical renderers in C4D. Now i can't figure out how to do that to get appropriate results.
There was a discussion (https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=8033) about the same isuue but the Substance plugin can't create a Metallic Material just from nothing.
Am I doing something wrong in Substance Painter — Cinema 4D workflow?
Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 07:21:38 pm

MQ

Hey baida,

I did go with the Spec/Gloss Workflow, you should be able to convert your maps in painter easily. There isn't any 100% solution right now, I guess.
alternatively you could buy the Pixelberg PBR shader http://frostsoft.blogspot.de/

Cinema Version: R17

-create a new material
-open the material editor

Base color, Normal, hight

-feed the base color texture in the input in the color tab

-do the same for bump and normal in their tabs

The tricky part

-delete the legacy specular layer
-create a new GGX layer

Specular:

-feed the specular into the Layer Color texture input

Glossiness:

-under the roughness bracket create a colorizer
-feed the glossiness map into the input
-invert the map by changing the gradient to white and black

GGX

-change the GGX properties, highlighted yellow on the image. Tweak the roughness aswell

Hope this will help you

cheers

edit: Raise the Roughness Value up to 100%
Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:03:39 pm

Thanks a lot! That really helped!

Yes, very helpful. Thanks for posting!

Cheers,
wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Sorry for raising the old thread, but..
First I want to say thanks to MQ for this spec/gloss workflow clear explanation. It helps a lot..!!!  8)
But, is there really no way to use the Metallic/Roughness workflow in Cinema 4D?
Arnold 5 and Redshift use the Metallic/Roughness workflow, and now things become simple and easy, since they both can now use the same textures.
So, it would be very cool to be able to use the same Metallic/Roughness workflow with the native Cinema 4D renderer.
Am I really alone in this?
Any help is welcome..  ;)
Thank you.

You can import your maps from Substance painter into designer, set up your outputs. publish the sbar and then import the sbar using the substance plugin into C4D. then you just had to mess with the settings to get it right.

MQ

Since C4D Version R18 there exists a Substance Engine plugin. It's even build in in R19. However, if you want to use pre-rendered PBR-Textures, or you use an older Version, here is an explanation.

First of:
There is a decision, that has to be made. You can use the color-channel for the base color. But the shading doesn't look very realistic. There is the other option, to use the reflectance channel for everything. I will show the other variant, that looks more realistic, but needs more rendertime.

Base Color

-Create a new material.
-Turn off Color

-Go to the reflecance options
-Remove the Default Specular Layer

-Create a new Labert Layer and name it Base Color

-Plug your base color texture in the "Layer Color"-Dropdown in the texture option

-Plug your Metallic map in the "Mask"-Dropdown and invert it with the colorizer-shader

Here you could use the color tap instead. If you want to do so, use the "base color" section in this thread up above.

Non-Metal

-Add a GGX Layer
-Rename it to Non-Metal

-Plug in your roughness map

-Set the fresnel to dielectric

-Plug your Metallic map in the "Mask"-Dropdown and invert it with the colorizer-shader

Metal

-Add another GGX Layer
-Rename it Metal

-Plug in your roughness map

-Plug your Base Color map in the "Layer Color"-Dropdown

-Plug your Metallic map in the "Mask"-Dropdown

-Set the fresnel to Conductor

Regards,
MQ

Follow the text, the images down below aren't up to date
Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 03:11:23 pm

SNEAK PEEK! Substance Painter Live Link Cinema 4D  https://youtu.be/rC69ZZI5lFg
Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 10:35:44 am

Firstly, it's very cool that you showed a working Metalic workflow, MQ.
Thank you very much for this, I really appreciate it..  8)
However, I couldn't achieve an acceptable result with this at all.  :(
I don't know why, but it does not look any close to what I get using Redshift (which looks very close to what I see in Substance Painter).
I understand that this is not a correct comparison, but for example, the previous solution with Spec/Gloss workflow looks different, but very close to what I want to see in the end..
Just as an example, instead of chrome I get some gray plastic and so on..
Of course, I will continue to experiment with this further, since ideally I would like to have only one set of textures that could be used with other Renders (in my case I'm talking about Redshift and Arnold).
Anyway, it's very strange that Maxon hasn't yet created a simple, ready-to-use solution to use the 'industry standard' PBR materials.  ???

Wow! 7840 Views !

MQ

Thank you vip_mail for your feedback.
I fixed the guide according to my experience with C4D.
I know it's still not matching exactly, but I try to look into that issue in the next time. Right now I would recommed to convert the Metal/rough textures to Spec/gloss maps and use the first guide.

Cheers

Here is a comparison: Left SP, Right C4D
Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:06:03 pm

Right.
The Spec/Gloss workflow works best in C4D for now..
Unfortunately, the metal/rough workflow works incorrectly so far..
Anyway, thank you for your effort, MQ, I really appreciate it.
And I keep my fingers crossed, with the hope of your new discoveries in this field..  ;)

Thank you MQ for your guide.  Is that methd only for R18 and earlier? Is it more automated in R19?

I am trying to figure out how to properly plugin the texures I create in Substance Painter to C4d R19, and then save a FBX with Embedded PBR textures to import into High Fidelity.  https://highfidelity.com/

Can you shed any light on how to do this? Or which export preset I should use? And where to plugin the Normal, Metalness, and roughness maps in a R19 PBR texture?

Thanks