Author Topic: A Road-trip in 2116 - Announcement and Rules  (Read 11116 times)

Nothing beats a good old road trip to enjoy a week end to the fullest! On this Saturday, July 18th 2116, what would be your ride?

Would you be driving among the ruins of our pre-World War III civilization, hoping not to come across a group of scavengers? Maybe you'd be floating in space, traveling smoothly at a hundred thousand miles per hour in your old beat up but still valiant Galaxy Cruiser. What about hovering a few feet over the electro-magnetic freeway in a spanking new self-driving Cadillac Coupe? Or perhaps you're the kind of person who likes adrenaline fueled jet-bike trips down the Valles Marineris canyons on Mars.

Show us what kind of driver you would be a hundred years from now!

RULES
    Design your dream vehicle of the future! This is not strictly limited to cars but instead extends to any potential mean of locomotion.

This is a "no-limit" contest, which means:
       * No polycount limit. Subdivision, displacement, hair and fur are allowed.
       * No texture size or material count limit.
       * No restriction on the rendering method (real time or offline).
       * No style restriction: stylized, fantasy entries welcome!
       * No software restriction, but clever use of the Substance Toolset will be appreciated by the Jury.
       * Use of particles, post processes, 2D and 3D background elements, characters, is entirely up to you.

Important: The subject should be put in context, either with a 3d or 2d environment or background, even simple or abstract.
    Here is a pinterest board with a few examples.

Only original artworks created specifically for this contest will be accepted. Entries can be loosely based on existing concepts but still have to be original designs.

This is a solo contest, no teams are allowed.

Contestants are encouraged to open a WIP thread on the Allegorithmic forum and post their progress all along the contest duration.

DATES
    The contest will run from Tuesday June 7th to Sunday July 17th at 11:59pm (PST).
    Winners will be announced during the Substance Days keynote on July 23rd at 7:00pm PST. The keynote will be streamed live on our website and on Gnomon's.

SUBMISSION

Please use this form to submit your entry.

Valid submissions will include:

* A single high resolution beauty shot (2000px wide minimum)
       * Between 1 and 5 construction shots (can contain wireframes, blueprints, sketches, moodboards, texture sheets, etc.)
       * A short text explaining the story behind the entry

Only one entry per contestant is allowed.

The jury will judge the entries through a set of criteria:
       * Artistic Quality
       * Execution and Technique
       * Originality
       * Substance Toolset usage

PRIZES

1st Place
    • HTC Vive
    • DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter Drone
    • 1-Year Houdini Indie License
    • $500 farm rendering credit on GarageFarm
    • Oversize Canvas Print of the Entry
    2nd Place
    • DJI Phantom 3 Quadcopter Drone
    • NVidia GeForce GTX 1070
    • $250 farm rendering credit on GarageFarm
    3rd Place
    • NVidia GeForce GTX 1070
    • $250 farm rendering credit on GarageFarm
    [/list]4th to 10th Place
    • Substance Live Indie License

JURY

Scott Robertson - Concept Artist / Designer / Author

Ruairí Robinson - Film Director - The Leviathan

Victor Kam - Vehicle Artist - Blackbird Interactive

Charlotte Francis - Technical Artist - Naughty Dog

Dr. Sebastien Deguy - CEO - Allegorithmic

Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 07:13:57 pm

Holy cow, lightning contest out of nowhere! Super cool jury panel guys.

I have a question

Is the contest only upon to people using the latest versions of Substance?

I use Designer 5, but have not upgraded from Painter 1 to Painter 2

Of course not, you can use any software you want. You can also request a trial version of Painter 2 for the duration of the contest if you want to give it a try, just send us an email.

Just to be sure, is this contest available to 2D artists? May I create a 2D piece for this?

Awesome! I`ll definitely be participating in this one. Got some ideas swirling in the old brain already! Cool initiative Allegorithmic! 

@Zepol Sorry, this is a 3D contest only. The background can be 2D but the vehicle itself must be 3D.

Only original artworks created specifically for this contest will be accepted. Entries can be loosely based on existing concepts but still have to be original designs.

Does this mean we cannot use existing IP and branding i.e. a real car or sponsors? Or is just the artwork that needs to be an original piece? Thanks

I am getting started right now, I just am not sure how to handle 2 contests at once (CGS/SSC is holding a very nice contest right now about spaceships...) Hey, anything willl help my portfolio anyways!

Very nice contest, I am in. I like the no limit rules on polycount and textures...

I'm in, and also have the same question as Kroma.

Does this mean we cannot use existing IP and branding i.e. a real car or sponsors? Or is just the artwork that needs to be an original piece? Thanks

Is there a Twitch # we should use i was thinking about streaming my work?

hi, this is the thread to show  the WIP ?

@Kroma You are free to create a design based on an existing brand if you'd like, the design itself needs to be all the more original then :)

@chadharms1982 There is no official Twitch but you are free to stream your creation and post the link on your own WIP thread.

@oprbguitar You should create a WIP thread here: https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?action=post;board=50.0

Damn seems nice. Really nice to see you guys hosting contests (Y)
    Will prolly check back later for more questions.