Author Topic: What Maps Go Where?  (Read 8006 times)

Hello! I will start off this forum with the obvious question: Where exactly do the maps generated from Substance Painter go in Marmoset Toolbag to achieve the exact same look?

I get that "Color" = "Albedo", but would like a no-brainer cheat sheet and/or plugin that will load these for me.

Wes, what's the best approach for this?

Thanks!

-Steve
Steve Talkowski
Design. Create. Animate.

I will also ask this question for KeyShot3d. I'm looking for the most simple way to replicate what I see in Substance Painter inside KeyShot3d. :)

-Steve
Steve Talkowski
Design. Create. Animate.

Hmmm, this must be a new subforum, never remember this one here..

But here's your answer:

Albedo = Diffuse/Color base
Normal = Normal
Microsurface -> Gloss Map = Roughness BUT you have to check Invert!!!
Reflectivity = Metallic BUT change the “Reflectivity” module from “Specular Map” to “Metalness Map”

But, go ahead and play around with the settings. Always best:)

Hello! I will start off this forum with the obvious question: Where exactly do the maps generated from Substance Painter go in Marmoset Toolbag to achieve the exact same look?

I get that "Color" = "Albedo", but would like a no-brainer cheat sheet and/or plugin that will load these for me.

Wes, what's the best approach for this?

Thanks!

-Steve

Hey Steve,

Please check this sticky thread here in the Toolbag forums. This should answer your questions on where the maps go.

https://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=5451.0

Cheers,

Wes
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I will also ask this question for KeyShot3d. I'm looking for the most simple way to replicate what I see in Substance Painter inside KeyShot3d. :)

-Steve

Hey Steve,

I haven't used Keyshot so I'm not sure about the material setup. The difference is that Painter uses PBR outputs that are used by game shaders. This is going to be different from Keyshot. If you can create physically-based materials in Keyshot, then you may be able to use the PBR spec/gloss output maps from Painter. However, there are several key aspects to consider. Painter uses a GGX BRDF. You need to confirm the BRDF that is used in Keyshot. Using a different BRDF will have different results.

In keyshot, you should look for an energy-conserving, GGX BRDF material/shader in Keyshot. If it doesn't have this, then trying to match the renders will most likely not have favorable results.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks Wes - i will pass this info along to the Keyshot crew!

-Steve
Steve Talkowski
Design. Create. Animate.

Here is a link to the viewer inside ArtStation:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dirty-wagon-wahoo

And a still image attached to this post. Thanks for all the help guys!

-Steve
Steve Talkowski
Design. Create. Animate.

Couldn't I use the VRay export option for SP and produce maps that Keyshot could use?  I can't find wtf to put a gloss map though, which makes the specular and albedo kinda useless for a metal texture...but I'm suspicious someone figured it out.  Then again, if it's really plug and play in this instance.  I will try MT2 as well, but I think I'm gonna render everything in Maya after a short time of finishing learning how...

Nevermind, that seems stupid, might as well if I produce VRay textures to just render in Maya...
Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 07:28:16 pm

Here is a link to the viewer inside ArtStation:

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dirty-wagon-wahoo

And a still image attached to this post. Thanks for all the help guys!

-Steve

Awesome Steve!

Cheers,
Wes