Author Topic: Substance Designer: Procedural rocky ground material series  (Read 34413 times)

Creating a procedural rocky ground material

In this 5-part series, we take a look at creating a procedural rocky ground material.

Software: Substance Designer 5
Version: 5.0/5.1

Prerequisites: Understanding of Substance Designer nodes and workflows.
Suggested series: Getting Started Series

Source files: Attached to this post.

Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 07:17:35 pm
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks Wes,
Always grateful for you sharing your wealth of knowledge.
Now I'm looking forward to watching them on my breaks. :)
Makes for a great day at work (ô¿ô)

Cheers,
 ~Tung

Exactly what I wanted ! Nice job this will help a lot.

Thanks @Wes McDermott : really useful as always!

Wow ! Will run the tutorial ASAP  :D

Thank you Wes  ;)

Thank you Wes looking forward to this one :)
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

Hi,

Thanks very much everyone : ) I greatly appreciate it. I hope you like this series. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks a lot Wes, going to start the tutorial now :D

Thanks a lot Wes, going to start the tutorial now :D

Thanks Eduard! I hope you like the videos.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks Wes,

Great stuff as always.

Thanks Wes,

Great stuff as always.

Thanks very much! So glad to hear you liked the videos. Much appreciated.

Cheers,

Wes

Hey Wes!  Here's what I came up with like i showed on twitter.  140 char to say something though does blow. hahaha.

For me, the height of the rocks still seems very flat when compared to yours.  I've played around with the normal intensity and the Large Shapes section but haven't really found a solution to give the appearance of more height.  Aside from that, I was looking for any tips & suggestions on what i could do to improve it.  For the most part i really like how it turned out, esp. the way how i made the water look.  Really makes it shine I think.

Thanks for the great tutorial Wes!  Also thanks for the help!
-Jon

**EDIT**
Just realized i can edit the relief amount and i can get the look i want.  But i don't think that will cross over if i were to say, use this in Unity.  Not really sure the shaders there have relief support built into them.
Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:19:44 pm

Hey Wes!  Here's what I came up with like i showed on twitter.  140 char to say something though does blow. hahaha.

For me, the height of the rocks still seems very flat when compared to yours.  I've played around with the normal intensity and the Large Shapes section but haven't really found a solution to give the appearance of more height.  Aside from that, I was looking for any tips & suggestions on what i could do to improve it.  For the most part i really like how it turned out, esp. the way how i made the water look.  Really makes it shine I think.

Thanks for the great tutorial Wes!  Also thanks for the help!
-Jon

**EDIT**
Just realized i can edit the relief amount and i can get the look i want.  But i don't think that will cross over if i were to say, use this in Unity.  Not really sure the shaders there have relief support built into them.

Hi Jon,

I'm so glad that you liked the tutorial series. I was going to mention that you can increase the height intensity. If you are using this in Unity, then you can use the height map in the height map input of the Standard shader. In Designer, this height map is a parallax effect. It's not actually tessellation. Its the same in the unity shader for height (parallax effect).

I checked your sbs. Really nice work : )  Here are some tips/suggestions. I would adjust just a few things that are centered around intensity values.

For the cracks pattern, I think the lines are a bit too thick. In the cracks graph, I would adjust the width slider on the edge detect node. This gives you more fine detail on the cracks. I would also decrease the intensity on the first normal node that contains the finer details. I think it was just a bit too intense and can cause the details to have too much contrast. I would also decrease the spreading in the AO node. I think the value was too high and causing too much darkness from the occluded areas to spread out into the higher regions of the rocks.

I attached the sbs I used in the tutorial in my first post above if you want to compare some of the intensity settings I used.

Great work Jon! So glad you found this series helpful.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi Jon,

I'm so glad that you liked the tutorial series. I was going to mention that you can increase the height intensity. If you are using this in Unity, then you can use the height map in the height map input of the Standard shader. In Designer, this height map is a parallax effect. It's not actually tessellation. Its the same in the unity shader for height (parallax effect).

I checked your sbs. Really nice work : )  Here are some tips/suggestions. I would adjust just a few things that are centered around intensity values.

For the cracks pattern, I think the lines are a bit too thick. In the cracks graph, I would adjust the width slider on the edge detect node. This gives you more fine detail on the cracks. I would also decrease the intensity on the first normal node that contains the finer details. I think it was just a bit too intense and can cause the details to have too much contrast. I would also decrease the spreading in the AO node. I think the value was too high and causing too much darkness from the occluded areas to spread out into the higher regions of the rocks.

I attached the sbs I used in the tutorial in my first post above if you want to compare some of the intensity settings I used.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks for the advice Wes, it's much appreciated.  Also I really do appreciate that you took the time to look at my .sbs file to give me tips.  Thank you so much!

Now i'm trying to see how this looks in unity.  When i import it in and use the Standard Sharder i get this:  http://gyazo.com/c443b437511df68ae4753f79e3d9ec8d

When i choose to use the legacy parallax shader i get something close to what i see in SD as far as colors but it's still way off.  http://gyazo.com/e1144d6f85f8c760c9754d84ba3cd5a8

Do you by chance know why that's happening?

Hi Jon,

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks for the advice Wes, it's much appreciated.  Also I really do appreciate that you took the time to look at my .sbs file to give me tips.  Thank you so much!

Now i'm trying to see how this looks in unity.  When i import it in and use the Standard Sharder i get this:  http://gyazo.com/c443b437511df68ae4753f79e3d9ec8d

When i choose to use the legacy parallax shader i get something close to what i see in SD as far as colors but it's still way off.  http://gyazo.com/e1144d6f85f8c760c9754d84ba3cd5a8

Do you by chance know why that's happening?

Hi Jon,

You are most welcome. I'm happy to help : )

One thing I should have mentioned... in my scene I used the metal/rough shader, but I didn't have a metallic output. With Substance Designer shader, this is just scene as 0.0 metal. With Unity Standard Shader, you need to have a metal output so that the roughness map (smoothness in unity and invert of roughness) is placed in the alpha of the metal map and thus used by the shader. If you are using a substance, then it looks as though you will not have the roughness data contributing to the shader. The substance plugin will auto invert the roughness so that its interpreted correctly as well as place the map in the alpha of the metallic output.

For you scene, you need to make sure that you set up Unity as follows:

1. Change the gamma space to linear
2. Import an HDR background you are using from Designer. Can be found here in the program files under resources>3D view. Set the exr as cubemap > lat-long format and glossy reflections with trilinear filtering. Next you will assign this cubmap to the new material set to skybox shader.
3. In the lighting tab, set the new skybox material.
4. Add a reflection probe. There is a bug in Unity where the reflection probe resolution will change the effect of smoothness. I use a resolution of 256-512 as this will better match the roughness effect in the substance shader. Without the probe set to a correct resolution, the reflection will look very glossy.

Please give this options a try. I've attached the result I am getting in Unity using the above options.

Cheers,

Wes

Another issue could be the lighting and setup. You