Author Topic: Getting started series - Substance Designer  (Read 9308 times)

Getting Started with Substance Designer

In this series, you will learn how to use Substance Designer.

Software: Substance Designer 4
Version: 4.x
*Basics shown apply to Substance Designer 5.

Prerequisites: None

Video Playlist:
Videos

Source files:
Earl Project Files

Correct High Res OBJ for Vertex Color Baking
Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:53:03 pm
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Sweet !

THX  ! ;D
CG generalist at @digi_fix animation studio located in Osaka, Japan.

Thanks a lot !
Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 04:34:57 pm

Hmmm... I've run into a problem baking the Color Vertex Map, as described in the video. I keep getting a black image. I must have overlooked something. It's hard to tell since the latest version of the software has a slightly different layout, but I think I made all of the proper settings

-S

Hmmm... I've run into a problem baking the Color Vertex Map, as described in the video. I keep getting a black image. I must have overlooked something. It's hard to tell since the latest version of the software has a slightly different layout, but I think I made all of the proper settings

-S

Hi,

I'm sorry for this issue. I tested the files and its working on my end. Did you use the "Earl_HIGH_vertexcolor.obj" file? I added it as a separate download at the first post in this thread. It will only work with that OBJ.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi there, I have a question. Substance Designer tutorial is somewhat outdated, through the entire tutorial I've noticed a few changes but managed to overcome them. My question is about the resolution. Im following the final tutorial where they go through all graphs and nodes fixing the resolution before publishing it, but on the version I have (5.3.4) when I simply change the Main Graph to "Relative to Parent" it was enough to make my Outputs 256x256 as expected.

I wonder if newer versions smart enough to do all graph and node resolution fixing by itself, or if I should go back to the other graphs and nodes and adjust them manually, as shown in the tutorial?

Thanks

Hi there, I have a question. Substance Designer tutorial is somewhat outdated, through the entire tutorial I've noticed a few changes but managed to overcome them. My question is about the resolution. Im following the final tutorial where they go through all graphs and nodes fixing the resolution before publishing it, but on the version I have (5.3.4) when I simply change the Main Graph to "Relative to Parent" it was enough to make my Outputs 256x256 as expected.

I wonder if newer versions smart enough to do all graph and node resolution fixing by itself, or if I should go back to the other graphs and nodes and adjust them manually, as shown in the tutorial?

Thanks

Hi,

The resolution workflow is the same in the tutorial version (outdated) versus the latest builds. In this case, the instanced graphs you have are set to relative to parent, so they are not forcing a resolution downstream to the outputs. If you did have a node that had an absolute resolution, then it would change the final outputs.

Cheers,

Wes

Hey Wes, Where is the Veins File ? I Can't find it in Earl Zip file :S