Author Topic: Roughness issue in UE4  (Read 1790 times)

Hi I'm having issues with my model in UE4. In substance painter my model looks really rough (which is what I want). However in UE4, the model looks very glossy (which is not what I want) as you can see in the image. I hooked up the textures to their correct outputs and everything is fine apart from the roughness. I even included the export options from Substance Painter but I really think it has something to do within UE4. Any suggestions? :)

Hey matthewsmall,

you need to tell Unreal how to interpret the maps correctly.
Substance exports he maps correctly in linear and srgb colour space, but Unreal interprets the linear maps wrong by default. I don't know why, to be honest.

You can double-click the imported texture and uncheck the 'sRGB Colour' checkbox. You need to do this with the height, roughness and metallic.
If you already set up a material you need to reimport the textures there or change the interpretation there as well, but reimporting the textures into the material is easier ;)

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

Hey matthewsmall,

you need to tell Unreal how to interpret the maps correctly.
Substance exports he maps correctly in linear and srgb colour space, but Unreal interprets the linear maps wrong by default. I don't know why, to be honest.

You can double-click the imported texture and uncheck the 'sRGB Colour' checkbox. You need to do this with the height, roughness and metallic.
If you already set up a material you need to reimport the textures there or change the interpretation there as well, but reimporting the textures into the material is easier ;)

Best regards

Thank you very much! This has helped me out a lot and my textures are looking like from Substance Painter. It's very weird how the textures can look all wrong by not unchecking a box lol

Thanks again :)

I am actually having the same issue.  I've got a completely procedural substance that I have made.  Looks great in Substance but in UE4... like... ehhhh....

I read the suggestion on disabling the sRGB but that did not seem to do anything for me and the appearance in-level did not change at all.

Am working with imported substance with instances as created by the plugin upon import.

Hey Kagemao,

if you import a .sbsar file, instead of textures, you don't need to take care of linear/sRGB colour space.
It can happen that your texture looks different when not having the same lighting conditions. There are several threads here in the UE4 section of this forum about this.

Best regards
Environment Artist - Twitter

I am actually having the same issue.  I've got a completely procedural substance that I have made.  Looks great in Substance but in UE4... like... ehhhh....

I read the suggestion on disabling the sRGB but that did not seem to do anything for me and the appearance in-level did not change at all.

Am working with imported substance with instances as created by the plugin upon import.

PBR rely a lot on the lighting conditions. You can't compare two textures if you don't use the same lighting. This is your issue in your screenshots. In Designer you have an exterior with a powerful sun, while in UE4 you have an interior with a dim light.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Technical Artist, Product Designer at Allegorithmic.