Author Topic: Substance for Unity 5: Creating PBR textures for environments and characters  (Read 33400 times)

Substance for Unity 5: Creating PBR textures for environments and characters   

Designed to educate users on PBR principles and guidelines while showcasing the power of the Substance toolset to easily create PBR-ready content for Unity 5. The course is divided into 5 chapters, which allows users to pick and choose topics to build their own training path.

Software: Substance Painter 1.x - Substance Designer 5.x
Version: 1.x

Prerequisites: Understanding of a 3D application, Substance Painter, Substance Designer and Unity 5.

Video Playlist:
Videos

Project Files - Available on Substance Share
https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/1277
Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 04:56:58 am
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I've gotten to the end of Ch 2-03 in the Substance for Unity series, but I'm missing several usage options for the output node, including the curvature option. I've attached a couple of screenshots to hopefully help understand. I'm using the latest version of Substance Designer, and the only change I've made to the software is rearranging the windows across my 2 monitors, I don't believe I've changed any setting which should hide output options.

Thank you!
Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 11:09:28 pm

I've gotten to the end of Ch 2-03 in the Substance for Unity series, but I'm missing several usage options for the output node, including the curvature option. I've attached a couple of screenshots to hopefully help understand. I'm using the latest version of Substance Designer, and the only change I've made to the software is rearranging the windows across my 2 monitors, I don't believe I've changed any setting which should hide output options.

Thank you!

Hi,

Something seems strange in the screen shot as you don't see the format and mipmaps options for the output. Did you create an output? It should like the attached screen shot.

Cheers,

Wes

I am using an output node, as far as I'm aware the only output node that is in Substance Designer, but you're right I'm missing format and mipmap options... unless there's an option for "advanced output" or something along those lines, I don't have those options, or the usage options for curvature, position, normalWS, or colourID. I managed to continue the tutorial series by setting the output to "any" and just using the curvature as a greyscale output, but it does seem less than ideal for there to be options somehow missing...

EDIT: I just to start a new procedural material to play with some of the concepts learned from the series, and I've noticed something odd. I have those missing options now, just from using the Physically Based Metal/Rough template... somewhere along the line I must have changed an output setting or something without realising it was locking off options for me.
Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:15:11 pm

I am using an output node, as far as I'm aware the only output node that is in Substance Designer, but you're right I'm missing format and mipmap options... unless there's an option for "advanced output" or something along those lines, I don't have those options, or the usage options for curvature, position, normalWS, or colourID. I managed to continue the tutorial series by setting the output to "any" and just using the curvature as a greyscale output, but it does seem less than ideal for there to be options somehow missing...

EDIT: I just to start a new procedural material to play with some of the concepts learned from the series, and I've noticed something odd. I have those missing options now, just from using the Physically Based Metal/Rough template... somewhere along the line I must have changed an output setting or something without realising it was locking off options for me.

I think I have the curvature option because I had used it before. For the usage field, you can actually type what you need. Just click on the button and type.  So if you don't have curvature, you could just type it and next time you create an output, you will see it in the drop down list. Curvature is not an official usage for the outputs.

I'm sorry for the confusion on this.

Cheers,
Wes

Hi.I'm from Ukraine, and my English not wery well, but I"d say very thank u for ur tutorials Substance for Unity. But i cant find to download project files :( Can u give link for it?

Hi.I'm from Ukraine, and my English not wery well, but I"d say very thank u for ur tutorials Substance for Unity. But i cant find to download project files :( Can u give link for it?

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I haven't uploaded them yet. The final videos will launch next Wednesday (Jan 27th) and I will also post all project files.

Cheers,

Wes

Thank u!

<< UPDATE >> All fixed now, thanks Wes!

Hi Wes, thanks for the awesome tutorials. The shortened links on share are reporting back as violatiing googles service terms and have been disabled.
Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 09:01:39 pm

Hi, Wes! Your lessons is best of the best on the YouTube! Thanks You! ;)
Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 03:26:17 pm

Hey Wes, just started watching the level design Tutorial... it's some very awesome stuff here man... I see you have a distance tool for Unity and I wonder if you have an updated version of this... It would be useful for what I am doing right now :)

One thing missing in my humble opinion is actual terrain texturing. The Substance Terrain plugin in the asset store was broken last time I checked. I did fix it myself and height based blending with Substance splat maps with custom shaders look great.

If you're not using Unity terrain, the tutorial is still a bit limited. Maybe the terrain Substance module was abandoned because it's a bit of a hack? It does still work pretty good and does look awesome.

It's been a while my information may be outdated.

Hey Wes

best tutorials series ever!!!!

i was just wandering if you could please assist me, ive come to the end of 02-05 and my blending materials are doing something funny. my color is not coming through and the more i play with the position the darker the mask area becomes, as if the color is not coming through.

ive included an image of my dirt_ground and the resulting rock_ground blend (the closest i can get it) and an over the top value so you can see what i mean about the color not coming through. any assistance would be appreciated.

thank you for your time
luke

P.S. when i scrub through the settings it seems like there are flashes of the correct color coming through only to turn into black.

Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 07:22:03 pm

i just wanted to reply and say that i figured it out and the solution was basically covered in the next video. so never mind i came right.

thanks anyways!

Is the source files available for the tutorial ? thanks